Permanent, part-time position (3 to 5 days per week, usually Monday - Thursday)
Location: Stowey Rocks Farm, Over Stowey, Bridgwater
Plowright Organic is a family business, growing organic vegetables at Stowey Rocks Farm. We sell our produce through our organic veg box scheme and we have a number of local wholesale outlets.
We are currently looking for a Field Worker to join our small, friendly team. Your role will mainly involve harvesting and grading a wide range of veg, pre-packing, planting and weeding, depending on the season. A willingness to cover for other team members when required, and to muck-in with other aspects of the work on the farm is essential. This is an interesting and varied job, requiring attention to detail to get the right quality of produce to our customers.
You will be a keen outdoors person, who enjoys physically active work and likes to work close to nature in all weather.
Essential qualities to excel in this role are:
Practical - to get to grips with efficient harvesting and trimming methods.
Productive - to achieve a reasonable level of speed in your work.
Adaptable - to cope with new and changing quality issues in crops as the seasons progress.
Enthusiastic and cheerful team member - to get the job done in all weather conditions.
Some previous experience of harvest work / knowledge of vegetable production would be an advantage but not essential, as all training will be provided on the job.
Please apply by email to Richard: firstname.lastname@example.org
Organic vegetable grower
Permanent fulltime role
Salary: £18,000.00-£25,000.00 per year
Plowright Organic is a family business at Stowey Rocks Farm in Over Stowey, providing home delivery of home grown organic vegboxes to about 600 homes every week in Somerset and Bristol.
We are looking for a someone to join our small friendly team which comprises vegetable growers, veg box packers, field workers and delivery drivers. Someone who shares our passion for organic farming and growing vegetables for the local community. Someone who is excited about commercial, field scale vegetable production. This is an interesting and varied job involving all aspects of production from seed to harvest and sales. It comprises a good mix of manual work and tractor operations using specialist equipment. The job requires attention to detail so that we get the right quality of produce to our customers.
Essential qualities and experience to excel in this role are:
· At least 2 years experience in commercial organic growing or mixed farming.
· A competent tractor driver.
· A wide range of practical skills, including basic carpentry and workshop skills.
· An enthusiastic interest in the environment, soil, plants, tractors and machinery.
· An efficient, productive worker who enjoys physically active work.
· A good natured and cheerful team player, despite what the weather or equipment throws at you.
· An ability to adapt to established growing and harvest methods at Stowey Rocks Farm.
· An open minded, flexible approach to work and an understanding that there is always more to learn.
· A willingness to cover for other team members when required, and to muck-in with other aspects of the work on the farm.
· Experience of harvesting and prepping vegetables.
· Experience of operating machinery to carry out manuring, cultivations, drilling, planting, weeding and harvest operations.
· An understanding of machinery and the ability to make adjustments in the field to get the best out of equipment.
· Polytunnel construction
Application deadline: 26/02/2021
Expected start date: 29/03/2021